Kitchee Secured Premier League Runner-up Position

Despite falling short on retaining the premier league title, Kitchee displayed superior firepower on Saturday afternoon and defeated Hong Kong Pegasus 4:2 in the BOCG Life Hong Kong Premier League. With Eastern already clinched the premier league title the night before, Kitchee could only settle for a respectable runner-up position in the season-long premier league marathon. Both sides started the game slow but it was Kitchee that did the damage once it got into the game. Late in the first half, a sweet Alexander Akande strike and a well-taken Alessandro Leonardo goal helped put the Blues ahead with a two-goal lead heading into half time. After coming out from the interval, Admir Adrovic took advantage of a Kitchee foul inside the box and converted the penalty shot for Hong Kong Pegasus, pulling one back for his side. Afterwards, Alessandro Leonardo and Lo Kong-wai both traded goals to keep things tight towards the latter part of the game. Deep in injury time, Kitchee youngster Cheng Chin-lung found the back of the net with a tight-angle shot, securing his first ever senior goal for the Blues. The 4:2 score stood towards the final whistle as Kitchee brushed off Hong Kong Pegasus and took home all three points. Kitchee goalkeeper Guo Jianqiao put on a steady performance in goal for the Blues and was generally satisfied with the team’s overall display on Saturday afternoon. “We knew we came up short in the premier league title defense the night before and subsequently, the coaching staff applied some changes in the lineup. Credit to the team, we still performed very seriously in the game and that is going to be a great help to our upcoming AFC Cup games,” the likeable Kitchee custodian commented. “Personally, I have not had much playing time this season but I try to work hard in training and listen to what the coaches have to say. No matter what, I still feel very much part of the Kitchee family.” Prospect Cheng Chin-lung, who scored for Kitchee late in the game as an eighteen year-old, recorded his first ever top flight goal on Saturday. The young-looking attacker was quite happy to finally break his duck. “I almost scored in an earlier AFC Cup but failed to capitalize on the occasion. Despite waiting for my first goal for so long, I am extremely happy to finally score for Kitchee. Looking ahead, all I want to do is to fight for more playing time and to score more goals for the side,” said the teenager.